Signs of depression:
- frequent self-criticism, self-blame, worry
- a lack of energy or tiredness
- difficulty concentrating or making decisions
- crying spells, withdrawal from others, neglect of responisbilities
- having sleep difficulties or sleeping too much
‘Frequently when a person does not recognise depression in their work colleague, they may judge them as lazy, self-centred, ‘not pulling their weight’, ‘not a team player’, having a poor work ethic or being incompetent’ (Kitchener, et al. 2017).
Signs of anxiety:
- decreased concentration
- indecisiveness or confusion
- unrealistic or excessive worry
- nervousness or feeling on the edge
- irritability, impatience, anger
- avoidance of situations
- sleep disturbance
You might also notice physical signs such as the person: being short of breath and change in skin colour.
Source: Kitchener, B., Jorm, A., and Kelly, C. (2017) Standard Mental Health First Aid, Mental Health First Aid Australia.